Arts in New York City: Baruch College, Fall 2008, Professor Roslyn Bernstein

Eastern Cherub

My collage project entitled “Eastern Cherub” focuses on religious ideology from different cultures. I chose to represent Occidental spirituality through a cherub because it is the epitome of innocence and devoutness in Christianity. The cherub, adorned with bells and a cross, sits inside a black ring. In Chinese mysticism, the ring represents heaven because it is seemingly unbounded and borderless. In contrast, the square symbolizes the mortal, earthly world of the “unenlightened.” Often temples were built on this principal; a square gate would surround the greater structure, and the innermost core would consist of a smaller, circular shrine. I wanted to recreate this formation by depicting the view from above – a circle within a square.
Outside of the circle, yet within the confines of the outer square perimeter, I included shards of mirror to reflect the viewer’s own image – a reminder that we are not enlightened and are therefore excluded from the heavenly circle. The number of shards is also significant. The Chinese considered nine to be the number nearest to heaven, and many of the ancient temples have this incorporated into their architecture (nine stairs leading to the shrine, nine doorways in the gate, etc.) I therefore chose to use nine shards of mirror to illustrate the proximity to heaven, as we are just outside the circle.
My main objective was to contrast the iconography in the Christian religion and in ancient Chinese mysticism. While the cherub, cross, and bells are all clearly identifiable and accessible symbols, the Asian numerology is less intelligible to Westerners. By literally placing a symbol of Christian holiness inside of a symbol of Eastern heavenliness, I wanted to demonstrate the connection between all spirituality: the search for salvation.

1 Yuriy Minchuk { 12.04.08 at 5:08 am }

I know you have played with a few ideas for this particular project and I am glad you chose this. It is very simple, yet so meaningful. I love the way you put it together. Great job

2 Yuriy Minchuk { 12.04.08 at 5:11 am }

I know you have played with a few ideas for this particular project and I am glad you chose this. It is very simple, yet so meaningful. I love the way you put it together. Great job!

3 Viorika Rybak { 12.06.08 at 9:24 pm }

Wow Mark, this is really thoughtful. You incorporated a lot of ideas and a lot of meaning into this project. It seems so simple, yet so complex. And it’s also really great that you know so much about different religions, I definitely learned a lot. Awesome job!

4 Vince { 12.10.08 at 3:15 pm }

I agree with Yuriy. It is direct and to the point with a deep meaning. I especially liked how you included some of the Chinese culture. I didn’t know that 9 and .5 were lucky numbers in the Chinese world. The anecdote you gave was both compelling and rich. Well done sir, once again!