Rubin Museum

My visit to the museum began with a large multimedia map, which introduced visitors to the Himalayan region, as well as adjacent cultural areas. There were four sections I explored- including figures and symbols, materials and techniques, purpose and function, and Tibetan art in context.

The first, figures and symbols focused on the symbolism vital to understanding the content in the Himalayan paintings. The key figures in the art were represented by two-dimensional paintings and three-dimensional sculptures of Hindu gods and goddesses. These art forms in particular were very recognizable and contextualized many of the sculptures I am familiar with. All of the objects, including thankgkas- a Tibetan silk painting with embroidery, along with the various other art forms including sculptures of bodhisattvas and tantric deities introduced me to different distinct symbolic entities, characteristic of the region.

The second section, materials and techniques demonstrated the different methods of creating the paintings and sculptures. The methods of Thangka painting were displayed through a three-dimensional art installation, presenting each of the process’ six-labor intensive stages. Structure and compositional elements were also displayed through a large wall painting elaborating on the hierarchal relationship between figures, according to size, position, and sequence.

Purpose and Function addressed the reasons for commissioning and using Himalayan works of art. Motives included secular concerns such as long life, accumulation of merit, and spiritual gains attained patrons through the ritual use of these objects.

The last section placed Tibetan art in context- featuring a shrine including sculptures, paintings, furniture, and textiles. Everything was elaborately decorated, complemented by butter lamps, which represent traditionally lit lamps that are traditionally housed within shrines. Ritual objects and musical instruments were also on display for visitors to see- and audio elements were incorporated in to the visit, as I was listening to a recording of monks chanting softly.

The stylistic diversity represented within the works is of particular significance as not one artwork was like another. This exhibit, focused on beautiful Hindu works, particularly from Kashmir and Nepal ranging from the 12th to the 19th centuries.

It provided a sort of escape from reality and especially the New York life. The aesthetic beauty is present, but the art is primarily for ritual use- depicted in paintings.

The concept of the wheel of life is a ubiquitous teaching tool and was painted at the entrance to the temple. It also reinforces karmic law- one’s actions in this life have a direct impact and one’s future rebirths.

Shrine Room

Artist: Several Himalayan artists

Title of Work: Art of the Himalayas

Date of Work: 13th to 19th centuries

Materials/Medium: Sculptures, thangkas

Genre: Himalayan Art

Location: Rubin Museum

I was alone when I visit this museum.

This entry was posted in My Collection. Bookmark the permalink.