Matthew Dennis/oral history

Matthew Dennis

Peopling of New York

March 12, 2014

Musician with Three Jobs

Oral History

Stephen Schwartz is a New York City musician who is classically trained.  His specialties are voice, piano and guitar. He currently gives private lessons and performs at libraries in the City.  He also travels abroad and performs in Europe.

What is your name?

Stephen Schwartz.

Where were you born?

I was actually born in Queens, but I grew up on Long Island because my parents moved after I was 2 or 3 years old.

When did you come to the City?

I came initially around 1981 after I graduated from Syracuse University and I was in the City for about 10 years, then I moved to Germany.  I got a contract at the Opera House in Koblenz, Germany and I stayed in Germany for about 12 or 13 years.  Then I lived in Amsterdam for about 6 to 7 years.  I taught everything in English because my German was pretty good. I spoke a little Dutch but at the international schools the language is English.

When did you decide you wanted to pursue music as a career?

In my sophomore year of college, I originally was music minor.  I was studying voice and piano.  I had a really bad political science teacher in the first semester of my sophomore year and I decided I couldn’t take it and I said, “I’m not going to be a pre-law major.”  I was about 19 or 20 years old.  I said, “Oh, I’m going to be music major.

Can you give a description of what music you specialize in?

I am classically trained . . . but what people want to do is play pop music.  When you start, you have to have 6 months training and you have to read notes and chords.  It doesn’t matter if you’re singing or playing (an instrument).  You have to have a background and know what the notes are.  That will not change.  Even if you play with someone else, you have to have something on a piece of paper.

Do you write?

Not in a long time.  When I was your age, I was in college, I did write classical, pop songs, folk and lyrics and chords for the guitar.  But I haven’t written anything in a long time.  I could, but it’s not where my focus is.  If I wanted to, I probably could.  I do re-write for people.  For example, if a piano student wants to play a song, I can write the melody and put the chords down.

You said you went to Germany?

I did my Bachelors at Syracuse University, and then I spent 5 years working in the City, in Macy’s, Bloomingdales.  I went back to do my masters.  I did my master’s in voice and musicology.  I was working, I was singing.  I had church jobs as a paid soloist for Christmas.  I then went to Boston University to start a doctorate.  I was lucky; I got scholarships for my masters. I did some singing in Boston and an agent heard me from Germany and that’s how I got a contract (in Germany).  I went a few years after reunification of Germany in 1991-1992.  For American singers who want to do a contract, there are many opportunities in Europe than in the United States.  There’s more interest in the arts in Europe.  There is interest here, but more there.  Every other little kid takes piano lessons.  Here, it’s not as much.

In terms of performing, how much do you do?

I still do some performing, not as much as I did when I was in Europe.  I play for some of my voice students.  I play piano for them when they have a concert.  I have a vocal duo with a woman friend of mine.  We got our master’s together at Manhattan School of Music.  We perform a lot of libraries.  We performed at one of the Bronx libraries last year.  They’re coming back now because a few years ago in 2008, 2009 was when the stock market crashed.  That was before you were old enough to know what was going on, but now we’re getting rebooked.  I just did a concert a month ago in London at St. Martin in the Fields.  I teach here (Bronx House) 3 times a week.  I also give private lessons.

Are you a full-time musician?

Yes, with two or three different jobs.

How does your experience compare to Germany specifically?

There are plenty of opportunities in New York, but there are less than there used to be.  Ever since all the economic problems, there isn’t as much money.  For example, in the churches, their budgets aren’t as big as they used to be.  I once sang at the Riverside Church.  I was in the choir and was one of the soloists.

Did you ever feel like venturing into another genre of music?

When I was in high school, I was once in a rock band and played electric guitar.

Is there any musician or composer that you feel inspires you more?

I love Mozart.  I also like Stephen Sondheim.  I like the old Rogers and Hammerstein stuff . . . Oklahoma, Carousel.

Thanks for letting me interview you.

About dennism