The Ghost Map: The Finale

As I read the last chapters of this book, I realized something quite interesting about myself: I never thought history could be so captivating and exciting. I found myself rooting for the hero, John Snow, and found myself hating the temporary villain made in Reverend Henry Whitehead. But I also realized this novel went deeper than just the facts. I found John Snow and Henry Whitehead’s relationship to be quite captivating. After much thought, I realized it was rooted deeper than just their partnership and their goal of finding the cure. They were two people who shared similar values: The Reverend who worked among the poor couldn’t believe that class had anything to do with the disease, and Snow who came from a poor family who wouldn’t accept that relationship and thus was able to find the truth. Their shared views is what made them the perfect team.

My only question is to the author of this book: By the end of the seventh chapter, he downplays Snow’s achievements by stating that it’s Whitehead who spearheaded the achievement by finding the index case. I feel like that statement tries to detract from Snow’s amazing work and legacy. Snow is, after all, one of the most original people. I want to know why the author downplays Snow’s achievement when he could easily show that both of them are to be commended.