Root Shock Response #2

I still maintain the view that root shock is a form of gentrification on a large scale. Mindy Fullilove depicts low-income African-American communities being shattered from their relocation. However, when she states that root shock removes Negros, I believe that this is more of a financial matter instead of a racial matter. In other words, lower economic class brings about root shock when neighborhoods are changed, not race. Although Fullilove goes into how African-Americans of all social classes were segregated into ghettos, I wonder what would happen if the African-Americans in Roanoke were mostly working/middle class and had the local support of communities. The organization that spearheaded the urban redevelopment was the Women’s Civic Betterment Club. What would happen if the African-Americans lived in soon to be development projects all started to demonstrate and appeal for their rights? If they truly are close knit as Fulligrove states that they are, then they should easily be able to muster enough individuals create a movement that is good enough to make headlines. However, this did not happen because of their social class, and since these African-Americans were mostly poor, they were for the most part powerless to do anything. I wonder if root shock ever happened to a well off minority community because of its government’s urban renewal plans.

One thought on “Root Shock Response #2

1. Governments probably wouldn’t bother trying to mess with wealthy minority communities, just because there are probably members of the community in the government or with strong government ties. Also, if they are well off, they are probably living in a nice neighborhoods that would provide not even a pretend cause for urban renewal.

I agree with your point about the African-Americans in Roanoke gathering together. Thousands of African Americans in Montgomery, Alabama managed to boycott the buses for an entire year, proving the power of unity, despite financial struggles. Taking that into account, it makes the lack of resistance on behalf of the Roanok-ians even sadder.