Once A Criminal, Always A Criminal

In this chapter, Michelle Alexander points out all the ways criminals remain criminals, that is to say that once someone is convicted, or even just arrested, for a crime, he is labeled as a felon for life.  Due to the fact that he is now permanently considered a second-class “citizen,” he has very limited resources and that makes it extremely difficult to recover.  His  family may be too ashamed to support him.  He is ineligible for federal aid programs and may not qualify for most jobs.  Even if he has a job, he could still be in debt.  What irks me the most is how some states have “poverty penalties.”  How can people pay for these penalties when they would not afford to pay for the other fees in the first place?  While I understand that these penalties are meant to dissuade people from ignoring payment, it is also keeping people from rebuilding their lives.  “Although ‘debtor’s prison’ is illegal in all states, many states use the threat of probation or parole revocation as a debt-collection tool.  In fact, in some jurisdictions, individuals may “choose” to go to jail as a way to reduce their debt burdens…many states suspend driving privileges for missed debt payments,” which often cause those who were lucky enough to get a job to lose it (156).  I want to know what people think we should do to fix the system.  How to we keep the dangerous criminals from damaging society without harming the ones who want to rebuild/are innocent?