Cautionary Measures

In my last post, I mentioned that it seemed like the population of London didn’t seem focused in finding the source, and possibly cure, of the Cholera Epidemic. As Ghost Map came to a close the population became more concerned with the severity of the epidemic. The act of removing the broad street pump, the source of the epidemic in this area, is a big deal. It demonstrated an understanding of epidemiology and a shift from the miasmatic school of thought.

The one topic that I wish was addressed more in the book, was the state of mind and understanding that the general public as well as the explanation that they received. I think it was apparent to the people of London that they were dealing with a deadly and consistently present disease, but did they think this was some miraculous and unexplainable issue? was the general consensus that researchers, such as Snow, were working towards a valuable cure or an ineffective solution. Unfortunately it is difficult to see from the perspective of a peasant or commoner from this time, but that point of view could be very valuable and relevant.

-John