The New Jim Crow: Civil Rights, Politics, and Mass Incarceration

Like several of my classmates, I was intrigued by the idea of a “New Jim Crow” as I hadn’t really considered the United States’ high rates of incarceration in this way.  A major point I got from reading the introduction and first chapter is just how strong of an influence political agendas and power have on impacting public opinion and perception.  Based on the data Alexander presents, like how 1 in 4 black males will serve time in their lifetime, it is clearly an important issue.  However, most people (myself included prior this reading) are likely not educated on just how race-centered so many “crime-fighting” legislation are in the post-Jim Crow era.  I was shocked how the War on Drugs occurred in a time when a very small percentage of the population felt it was a pertinent matter.  Similarly, the extreme rates of incarceration in our country are not fed to us as something that needs changing and thus, we typically do not heed them as pressing in our voting preferences or even our frequent thoughts.

Nonetheless, social issues can be changed as years pass when proper media attention is given, as evidenced by the Gay Rights movement of the last few decades.  I couldn’t help but compare the Civil Rights progression outlined in the first chapter to how Gay Rights are evolving in the United States.  I remember hearing about how in the 1990s, as soon as public opinion shifted to an ever so slight majority of people who were in support of Gay Rights, gay characters began being featured on shows like Friends, Will and Grace, and Sex and the City.  It’s almost eerie just how powerful the media can be on popular opinion, and vice versa.  As this acceptance continues, and public interest increases, issues like the repeal of DOMA and a possible constitutional definition of marriage take center stage in  political agenda.  One can hope that Alexander’s book will help raise awareness and take the first of many steps in fixing racial discrimination and unlawful incarceration.

Did anyone else compare mass incarceration to other current issues facing the United States?

-Jacqui Larsen