Ch. 4

Reading this chapter I was immediately caught up in topics that we had talked about before in class. Again, there were many actions that were directed against criminals and people who had committed a felony. I think I was most surprised that many judges and officials either did not know or chose not to tell those convicted of crimes of the other consequences of being convicted and not serving time in prison.

These consequences included getting your license revoked, not being able to qualify for public benefits, not being able to find a home, and not being able to find a job. Many blacks, women and men, are stuck in a cycle of going to prison, returning home, not being able to support themselves, and then going back to prison because of a small offense. It was also interesting to see how the use of state prisons and jails dropped from 74% to 40% once people who were freed from prison were given housing.

My question is, has the EEOC taken any other measures to help ensure that discrimination doesn’t occur between job applicants who have committed past demeanors verses those who have not? If so, is it effective?