Food Now: Union Square and 23rd Street

Union Square (Q/5/6) and 23rd Street (F) share a unique bond: The most popular restaurants located in these neighborhoods are often recognized to be located in both areas!  The combination of bohemian Union Square and wealthy Gramercy create the perfect mix of famous, yet not wallet-breaking, restaurants that provide rich dining experiences; while Gramercy has earned its reputation as one of New York City’s greatest culinary destinations, Union Square has encouraged restaurants to fit to students’ desires of cheaper, more convenient food.   Here are three of Union Square and Gramercy’s most classic dinging areas: Stumptown Coffee Roasters, Pete’s Tavern, and Shake Shack.

Stumptown Coffee Roasters

1.) My beautiful latte, complete with a heart design. 2.) You can buy Stumptown Coffee to brew at home!  3.) Cash Only at Stumptown!  4.) My barista making my drink.

Photos Taken by Michelle Guo

Stumptown Coffee Roasters 1 is one of the chicest cafés in the Gramercy/Flatiron district.  Located at 20 W 29th St. and Broadway Ave., this cash-only coffee shop is unique in all aspects. The minute I walked in, I stopped and took in the warm atmosphere.  The smell of fresh espresso instantly surrounded my nose; the smell alone woke me up and took away that afternoon “2:30 feeling” that I think we are all familiar with.  This coffee shop felt more like a relaxed modern lounge, with a variety of different chairs and tables, none of which seemed to have a pair.  Once I approached the cashier and glanced over the menu, I noticed that the drinks were fairly inexpensive compared to those of chain coffee restaurants, such as Starbucks and Gregory’s.  I ordered a medium latte at $3.70 and received the beautiful gem in upper left-hand corner in the picture above.  While my barista was making my latte (which took all of 30 seconds), he informed me that Stumptown uses Hudson Valley Fresh Milk, which only distributes locally.

The chalkboard menu at Stumptown Coffee Roasters.

Photo Taken by Erin Zimmer

I sipped on my creamy latte as I chatted with my friend; it was smooth, mildly sweet, not too strong, but still intense.  Before I knew it, I took my last sip.  Despite the long line (which apparently is inevitable), this hip café is definitely a place where you will want to take your friends.

Pete’s Tavern

View from Pete's Taverns beautiful bar.

Photo Taken by Michelle Guo

Pete’s Tavern, located at 129 East 18th Street (between 3rd Ave. and Irving Place) is an Italian-American restaurant and bar that has become one of Gramercy’s historical landmarks.  Opened nearly 140 years ago, Pete’s Tavern is the “oldest continuously operating restaurant and bar in New York City.” 2  While you can dine here for a relaxing and casual brunch or lunch in the middle of the day, at night, the restaurant pumps up the music and the full bar service instantly becomes very crowded.  Pete’s Tavern also has a “Skylight Banquet Room,” which holds office parties and private parties; this room requires no extra cost.

The brunch menu at Pete's Tavern.

Photo Taken by Michelle Guo

The dishes are moderately priced (most dishes ranging from $11-$30), but the portions will surely satisfy you.  I went to Pete’s once for brunch and another time for dinner.  Since the restaurant is famous for its burgers, for dinner I ordered the Bleu Cheese Burger ($13.50) and was pleasantly surprised by the size.  It was larger than I expected, cooked to perfection (medium rare), and served with thin cut and salted fries.  Unfortunately, I did not leave room for desert, so I will definitely make another trip to the famous Pete’s Tavern!  You can find the full menu with prices for Pete’s Tavern on its official website here.

Shake Shack

Shake Shack during the daytime.

Photo Taken by Michelle Guo

I have yet to find a New Yorker who has not heard of Shake Shack. 3 In 2004, this delicious burger chain opened its first store in Madison Square Park, located at E 23rdStreet and Madison Ave.  Almost instantly, the restaurant, owned by Danny Meyer, started to gain popularity and buzz; New York Magazine and TimeOut New York, 4 both praised Shake Shack for its Shackburger, cheese fries, and frozen custard.

You can commonly spot Baruch students in the Shake Shack line (which feels miles long when the weather is nice), for the menu items are under $10.  However, it is definitely worth the wait!  After you grab your food, there is plenty of seating around the stand and all around the park.  Shake Shack in Madison Square Park is an appropriately priced restaurant that is located in a beautiful area; everyone must stop by at least once.

Page Contributor: Michelle

Back

1. Stumptown Coffee Roasters. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2012.
    <http://stumptowncoffee.com/>.
  2. Pete’s Tavern. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 May 2012. <http://www.petestavern.com/
    index.php>.
  3. Shake Shack. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 May. 2012. <http://shakeshack.com/>.
  4. “Shake Shack.” Time Out New York: n. pag. Web. 1 May. 2012.
    <http://www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/shake-shack-2>.