Ivan’s Commute: N/Q Trains

Between the 1920’s to the 1940’s, Astoria became home to a large number of Italian, Greek, and Irish immigrants. After a change in U.S. Immigration policies in the late 1960’s, Astoria received its biggest immigration boom in modern times, mostly from Greece. Today, Astoria boasts the largest number of Greek nationals and emigrants outside of Greece. During the 1980’s to present, immigrants from Bangladesh, India, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, and Brazil have increasingly settled in Astoria. Today, Astoria is a multicultural haven for people from all corners of the earth.1

Astoria – Ditmars Boulevard is the last stop of the N/Q trains in Queens and the beginning of my journey to Baruch College. Usually, I spend the trip sleeping on most days. However, the times that I am not sleeping on the train I spend thinking about the various places that I am passing along the way.

One of the stops that I go to very often when I am free is 30th Ave. This stop has many cafés to have a cup of coffee and socialize with friends on the weekends. I enjoy coming here when I want to relax.

The next stop is also another one that I like going to often – Broadway and 31st Street (still in Queens). This stop has many clubs and lounges to go to if you want to spend a Friday or Saturday night dancing. One of my favorite lounges was Cherry (before it closed down).

Another stop that I often ponder about when riding the train is 5th Ave – 59th St. I used to love going to this stop when I was younger. This stop lets you out on the South side of Central Park and next to one of my favorite spots in the park. It was a wooden hut on top of a small hill. I thought that it looked like a “human birdhouse.”

Lastly, Times Square is the last stop that has importance to me. I get off here on every Friday and Saturday to go to work, at Aeropostale. It is also the location of one of my favorite pizzerias in New York City – John’s Pizza. If you are a fan of thin crust brick oven pizza, then John’s Pizza is a place worth visiting.

Finally, I end my commute by getting off on 23rd Street and walking to Baruch College.

1. “My Astoria – History of Astoria and Long Island City – Astoria LIC, Queens NY.” My Astoria. Web. 02 May 2012. <http://www.myastoria.com/history/>.