CB11

Last night, I attended the CB11 [community board 11] meeting in East Harlem where we sat in on lectures the public officials and citizens as they presented on various concerns and innovations in the community.  CB11 is a central platform for residents to come together and initiate/review planning, discuss the budget, and other advocacy matters relating directly to the welfare of the residents of the area.  CB11 is the area from 96th to 140th on the east side, from 5th ave to the east river.

This was my first time at a community meeting, and I’m glad I went. Seeing the people of the area we will be focusing on brought a new sense of depth to the issues at hand, making them more palpable and relatable.  In the beginning of the meeting when local groups would come up and give three minute speeches on programs or missions they’ve started, such as a clubhouse for the mentally disabled, or a group that is advocating for the renovation of the decrepit east river esplanade.  The most informative review was that of councilman assigned to CB11, who went over the  many topics of debate and government involvement in the community zone, such as his dedication to making sure officials know that the city does not end at 96th street and any renovations and improvements tested on the city and administered should be extended up to 140th, because that is where the borough ends and El Barrio can’t be left out of the equation.  He also talked for awhile about the homeless situation, offering methods of reporting and helping them by calling 311, and with the support of a crowd member, ensuring that we all knew to call our local authorities and demand either a shelter, or affordable housing on our blocks.

It was interesting to parallel this meeting with the readings about displacement of the African American community, of which described, in essence, the economic, social, and political detriment to a group due to targeted displacement from urban renewal campaigns claiming betterment for all.  In reality, these movements and renovations don’t improve the slums, but rather eradicate them for buildings that erase vibrant communities for commercial purposes.  El Barrio struggles to maintain a sense of identity and resist urban renewal attempts that aim at erecting high rises and big development.  Even when the esplanade group presented that they got an urban artist to design an installation for the fence, members of the CB asked if it was a local, east harlem artist.  They have a strong sense of community derived from the origin of it’s citizens arrival into the area, forming close bonds in shared struggles and discrimination, experiencing local strife and poverty as well as artistic renaissance.  The east harlem community has many concerns about its safety and well-being, growth and improvement, but want to do it with their voices as a dominating influences of change.

DQ: How can communities successfully combat urban renewal, or otherwise, what can they do to ensure their survival and well-being?

2 thoughts on “CB11

1. This is great Bethany! So glad you made it to the meeting and took such thoughtful notes. Did anyone else from our class attend? Make sure to share these notes with your group project team members.

2. Yes, I went with Amanda and Brett as well. I got a lot of helpful notes for my group as well as some material that may be useful to the others as well. I’l definitely put up some notes in my group!