How to Survive a Plague

From the readings we have done in class and from what I have observed in real life, I came to the conclusion that instances where organized protest actually bring about change are unlikely to occur. But upon watching the documentary, How to Survive a  Plague, I realized that despite its scarcity, there are times when people can win against those with power. It was inspiring to see that through the efforts of the members of both TAG and ACT UP, changes were brought about and millions of lives were saved. Unfortunately, this came with the cost of millions of lives as well.

The whole issue with the lack of drugs and policies for dealing with the increasing number of people infected by AIDS is reminiscent of the community planning and rezoning issues. They are similar in that dealing with these issues is impossible without the input of those directly affected and involved. For instance, without the input and efforts of ACT UP and TAG activists, many of whom were infected with AIDS, perhaps millions of more people would have died before scientists came upon the revelation that a combination of AIDS drugs would work. Likewise, community planning and rezoning are things that cannot be done without the opinions of those who understand the area the best.

As I was watching the video, I found it baffling that the development of AIDS was associated with one’s sexual orientation and that this was one of the reasons why there was a lack of drugs for the treatment of this disease. It was also horrifying to find out that AIDS patients were often rejected from funeral homes and merely placed in black bags. Many people often compare themselves to people in underdeveloped countries and consider themselves more civilized. They refer to those in underdeveloped countries as savages but I cannot help but think, what about those who are blinded by their homophobia? One such example is the man in the documentary who told homosexuals to keep their business to themselves rather than protesting for policies that could save millions of lives. Nevertheless, despite opposition from such people, it is comforting to know that the after six years of protest and demonstrations, the activists of ACT UP and TAG achieved their goals.

Discussion Question: Although I agree with the missions of ACT UP and TAG, there are some things that I do not agree with. For instance, I do not agree with how they decided to protest in the church. Thus, I was wondering if such actions are the only way to bring about change. Are they necessary or are there other methods?