Joyce Ling Run DOn’t Run

WP_002037

Run Don’t Run was a one of a kind performance. I could not pull my eyes away. Stepping into the auditorium/room the audience is immediate attracted to the red strings places strategically all across the room. They easily could have been mistaken as red lasers because of the mysteriousness of it all. As the dancers filed out and began performing, I was completely enthralled. I could not take my eyes off the dancers. The movements they chose filled up the room and incorporated the use of the red strings magnificently. The movements were incredible especially during one part where each dancer has a partner and looked almost as if they were fighting each other. It was as if the dancers knew the moves before their partner did. The music that went along with this dance was completely on point. Although it looked like fighting, the dancers were extremely graceful and had a water flow about them.

I loved how they used the entire space of the room, without that the performance would not be what it was. The fact that the dancers use the strings to hold them, such as when they would walk straight towards the audience but never hit them because the string held them back, was fascinating. It grabbed my attention as a audience. It also allowed the dancers to incorporate the audience without acknowledging that they are even there. I would definitely recommend this performance to my friends and family. It’s fresh and new, something I have never seen before. The dancing is thought provoking and you will be unable to tear your eyes away from the performance.