Josephine Guo Site-Specific Art (due 10/07)

What is street art? Or should we call it “graffiti”? There are many controversies that surround graffiti. Is it legal or illegal? Is it vandalism or is it art? In New York City, graffiti has been highly intolerable ever since the 1970s. The Mayors, Giuliani, Koch, and Bloomberg, have protested against graffiti in the subway and around the city. They have even taken to the eradication of graffiti in New York City and passed laws that made it difficult to paint graffiti. For example, the legal age of buying spray paint was increased to age 21, like the age to legally drink alcohol. In addition, graffiti has been officially erased from the subways. Therefore, in order to have a legal place for graffiti to exist here is a pretty difficult feat to accomplish. For street artists to utilize their skill and fulfill their interests in NYC is close to impossible. Hence, many of these artists are relieved that they have one place in the entire NYC to draw what they want without the fear of being caught by police officers and possibly imprisoned.

5 Pointz is one of the few legal places where street art can be drawn without suffering consequences. It is located in Long Island City, Queens. There are actually three 5 Pointz locations: one on Bushwick Avenue, one on Lafayette and Broadway (which doesn’t exist anymore, and the one in Long Island City. 5 Pointz encompasses the artworks of street artists from all over the world. The “art” here may just be an eye sore to the city government who has made it their mission to create a “clean” New York City. However, the artworks are the pride of those who drew them. It may not even be something as important as pride; it could be just their interest to draw. “Meres One” is the founder of 5 Pointz: The Institute of Higher Burning in Long Island City; his actual name is Jonathan Cohen. He founded this place, so that other graffiti artists can draw what they want. It is also a graffiti museum for those who want to come and visit and appreciate the work of these artists. This magnificent place allows me to see and feel the feelings of the artists here. Some of these international artists draw with a meaning in mind and hope for spectators to feel it as they look over their work. I particularly remember seeing many cute face expressions or “emoticons” drawn throughout the surface of the building. When I saw the happy ones, I immediately felt joyful, because that is what I believe the artist who drew this wanted me to feel. Also, the adorable drawing of the happy face made me smile nonetheless.

However, as unfortunate as it is, 5 Pointz is most likely going to be demolished this year or the following year for a construction project to transform the area to build condominiums and buildings that poor people cannot afford. The government is sacrificing such a memorable place for the sake of constructing some buildings that most citizens probably cannot afford to buy. The city government does not appreciate the art of these artists; however, we appreciate it. The many graffiti artists that come from all over the world to paint their artworks here are going to erased and never remembered again. New York City will lose one of the few legal places where graffiti artists can draw. This graffiti museum will never be seen again. All we can hope now is the construction will stop or the government finally realizes graffiti is not vandalism but art, meaningful art.

One thought on “Josephine Guo Site-Specific Art (due 10/07)

1. Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. However just imagine if
    you added some great visuals or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this site could definitely be one of the best in its niche.
    Superb blog!

Here is my weblog: muscle building foods for men