Jae Han Blog Post #4 Run Don’t Run

Run Don’t Run is a spectacular dance performance shown at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. The dance displayed many various forms of abstract and interpretative dance. It was difficult to take in meaning from the dances but I believe it was up to the viewer to take what they may from the performance.

Firstly, they emphasized the use of the resistance bands that surrounded them. I found that this created the element of restriction that continued on throughout the whole performance. It was interesting to see all the different things they could could do in the refined area they had. Even though they were restricted I believe they were trying to show how much freedom they really had by jumping around and flailing their arms in abstract motions.

Later we begin to see more usage of partnership. Paired off by opposite gender for the most part, the male and female surrounded each other in their movements, yet they seemed very distant from one another. They rarely came in contact in a direct approach. However, one partner always seemed to have a great effect on the other’s movements. The male usually came from the side or behind and manipulated the other’s location or movement. I believe that they were trying to create a situation where even though the two were so distant, one had a great impact on another.

As for the meaning of the performance that is all that came to mind, but I found many parts of this performance to be aesthetically pleasing. In other words, some parts were just cool. When the dancers paired up into groups and mimicked each others movements I couldn’t tell what was going on, but I know that is must have taken a lot of practice. Also when the dancers complimented each others movements and created wave patterns by jumping up and down at opposite times I appreciated how well timed these movements were. It intrigued me because the movements did not seem to go along with the beat of the song, so they really had to have a lot of control over what they were doing.

The performance was a bit confusing, and to some it may have been a waste of time, but I believe the questions you obtain from the performance open up your mind and I would not mind attending other performances like this.