Getty Station at Chelsea Galleries:

Probably the last thing you expect to see in the busy metropolis Manhattan is a gas station full of 25 sheep! When I first glimpsed Sheep Station I didn’t think anything of it. The gas pumps, signs, convenience store, and even the icebox all seemed totally typical. (Although the staggering low gas prices should’ve been a red flag!) But when I did a double take, I was enthralled by the luscious green grass, the trimmed bushes, and the life-like sheep that were so out of place at 239 10th Avenue, West Chelsea.

A guard standing on the premises was handing out fliers with information for the many passersby who had stopped to gape. Michael Shvo, a developer, bought this piece of land that was formerly an actual Getty filling station, and plans to build luxury residences there. However, throughout the construction period he plans to “bring outdoor exhibitions to a broad audience in the center of the High Line arts district.” Sheep Station, the work of French artist, François-Xavier Lalanne was the first exhibition and was featured from September 17th to October 21st.

This art is definitely something that makes people halt and take a second look! There are numerous, beautiful art galleries at Chelsea, but most of them are indoors. I think it’s great that Shvo, who is an art collector as well as a real estate developer, decided to take this initiative. Art shouldn’t be exclusively catered to one audience. Some of the galleries I walked into were so proper; white walls, a gentleman in suit at the entrance without a even a friendly “hello”; it seemed that this art was just meant for posh people. In contrast though, Getty Station is for the public; it’s for everyone and anyone who passes by, and that is what makes it so wonderful!

One thought on “Getty Station at Chelsea Galleries:

1. sarahshafer

I liked the point you brought up about how art usually seems pretentious and that was what made the sheep exhibit different; it was accessible to the public and outdoors. Also, I agree that it was kind of shocking to see and made me do a double take. At first, I thought it was a regular gas station until I realized that it was covered in grass. I didn’t even understand that it was art until I analyzed it. I also liked the point you said that it was outdoors. That definitely made it more relatable and interesting.