The Armory Show: Flipping the Art World

Society as a whole tends to look down on rebels, whether it approves or disproves of the rebel’s actions.  This is the same with the modern art movement exhibited in The Armory Show, or the International Exhibition of Modern Art.  Artists who specialized in modern art, any art that castsaside traditional values for the sake of experimentation, were often looked down upon because they were going against the norm of realism.  Nevertheless, the definition of art is constantly changing and many people started to approve and appreciate the modern art and the freedom of expression that came with it.  

According to Professor Carroll, two pieces that really shook the crowds during this modern art movement were Nude Descending a Staircase by Marcel Duchamp and Blue Nude by Henry Matisse.   Both pieces depict a different view of the human nude.  Duchamp’s piece turns the classic nude into a cubistic find-it game whereas Matisses’s painting broke the social norm of a female figure and distorted the anatomical parts and emphasizing imperfections with a harsh model.

The entire Armory Show helped me confirm my interest in modern art because I enjoy analyzing the different aspects, such as the philosophical one, of the pieces.  One of my favorite pieces in the show was Leopard and Deer by Robert W. Chanler. I thought the image represented an internal struggle between the pressures of one’s dark desires and the urge to do well and maintain one’s morals.  Another interpretation I had was a power clash between the upper class ripping the life out of the lower class.  Beyond my interpretation of the painting though, I loved the folk tale like art in which neither the leopards nor the deer are created hyper-realistically yet there is enough detail to see the agony of the deer getting bitten by the leopard’s many visible teeth.

Another piece that really made me think and appreciate modern art was Interior by Guy Pene du Bois.  Knowing that modernism aims to somewhat disregard social norms, I found it very contradictory since there were two women, seemingly docile, sitting in a room in very common female clothing.  But then I saw the blurred face of the younger female and realized this piece could be showing a revolution away from certain female norms by scratching the identity of the stereotypical female who looks docile in a white dress reading a book.   Maybe this picture foreshadowed a feminist movement.

Fauvism, a subsection of modernism, emphasizes the use of color and painterly qualities.  I really liked the piece Autumn by Alfred Maurer because of the added color on an already colorful season.  There were a variety of colors, but Maurer chose to add many shades of green in the blurry scene.  I enjoyed staring at the middle section where most of the colors are diverse.  That entire section was difficult to interpret because I did not know whether the colors are objects or just representing fall colors.  Overall, I liked the aesthetics of Autumn the most.

The Armory Show, recreated a century later, shows the evolution of art.  In 1913, majority of the population would scold modern artists because they were “unconventional” but in today’s society, modern art has become a norm.  The Armory Show related the pieces to the historical evolution of art with the various art types.  Personally, I enjoy modern art because there of the ambiguity and room for your mind to analyze. 

One thought on “The Armory Show: Flipping the Art World

1. Clare Carroll

Dear Lawrenzo, This is first rate work. You really have developed you own writing style. You do a great job of explaining the exhibit, and of describing these paintings. What sets your blog apart is your reflection on historical change and how that influences how we view art. First rate work.