Interviews with Midtown Visitors and Workers

An Interview with T. Spence by Lauren Shayo

LS: How often do you wind up in Times Square?

TS: Often. I work at a Starbucks pretty near it, so I’m there at least five times a week.

LS: Is the travel difficult?

TS: I live in Brooklyn, so yeah, it can get a little hard. I try to schedule my classes around it, so I’m not always going back and forth. As is, I have a two hour commute.

LS: Where do you go to school?

TS: Hunter. I give myself some time between shifts to get to class.

LS: So, going back to your work, do you enjoy your job?

TS: Like I said, it can be hard. It gets crowded. Really crowded. Like, “sometimes you can’t see the door through the crowds” crowded.

LS: Sounds like it can get hectic.

TS: It can, trust me. There’s phone orders and in-person orders, and you’ve got to handle them both, plus the guy in the back who needs to get his drink before the train gets there! It’s worst in the mornings. I’m about to give you some advice: don’t ever work at a Starbucks before 9:00.

LS: Yeah, I can imagine. It’s got to be nuts.

TS: Nuts isn’t the word for it. Worse than nuts. Insane.

LS: But, outside of work, how do you feel about the city?

TS: It’s alright, I guess. It can be crazy, but at least it’s fun. There’s always something to do- especially around here [Times Square].

LS: So you like it?

TS: I guess so, yes. It can be annoying at times, and the trains run so… slow, but I like it. Honestly, you’ve got to. When you spend this much time out here, it makes you like it. I like being invisible when I step out of work. You get that, right?

LS: Not really.

TS: No one’s looking at you, you know? In the city, everyone’s doing their own thing. You do what you want, and no one cares. I like that about it. People walk around dressed up as naked cowboys, and no one cares. I like that about it. If I didn’t, I’d have gone to school somewhere quieter.

LS: Alright, thank you.

TS: No problem.

An Interview with V. Chopra by Alvin John

AJ: Are you native New Yorker?

VS: No, I’m actually visiting my cousins who just moved here from India. I’m also planning on moving somewhere around here.

AJ: What is it about Times Square or Manhattan in general that appeals to you?

VS: I guess its just the energy, and definitely the visuals. Definitely the visuals.

AJ: So what do you mean by visuals?

VS: I mean like one thing is the sheer amount of advertisements I’m seeing in a matter of seconds. Some people hate it, but weirdly, I enjoy it.

AJ: Do you still find them attention-grabbing?

VS: Definitely, and I think that’s why I believe someone like me can’t get tired of it. There’s always something new popping up.

AJ: Alright, thank you for your time.

VS: Thank you.

An Interview with J. Nastro by Jenna Bawer

JB: I just wanna know how your experience is working in Times Square, both in general and in Theatre Circle [where you work] having to deal with people coming into NYC for the theatre.

JN: Well it’s definitely a bigger task than you think. There’s a lot to deal with working in Times Square because you’re not only a store that sells tee shirts. You’re also a place people go to for directions, recommendations and general information. Tasks that should be quick in this area aren’t. For example, doing a merchandise pick-up or just going to get your food can take longer than expected because of people traffic, lines etc. Even though it’s difficult at times, it’s a great energy to be around.

JB: What about all the tourism and commercialism, does it feel overbearing?

JN: It definitely feels overbearing, but that’s part of what gives the area its charm.

JB: Ah, good to hear.