RalphEllison Invisible-Man

One of the most interesting works in the gallery is the book with a blue phone next to it (Invisible Library). What makes this book exceptional is the fact that its simplicity and creativity enliven the exhibition gallery by bringing something new and fresh that you don’t see in traditional museums or galleries. At first, the book that asks its reader to “choose a page to read aloud”, dial 1-877-977-3352 and cross the page out” after finishing sounds like a very strange and creepy work of art. However, its ambiguity and uniqueness make it exceptionally charming. What if you were invisible? To be precise, what if you were present as a physical entity, but never had a chance to be recognized or viewed as such? Invisible Man addresses issues related to free expression, relationship between your true identity and social norms, as well as acceptance and tolerance. Although, it serves to emphasize the freedom of speech and discovery of self, it mainly encourages people to “collectively enact a visibility” through their voice that is not heard. By asking the participants to read the book and follow certain rules, the author asserts that our decisions to make ourselves heard is the key to personal well being as well as solidarity, which is where the main objective of the gallery lies.

What intrigue me the most are the thoughts I had in my head after reading one page. What if this relationship between society and identity is more complex than the book depicts? As discussed in the book, if the society does not view me as its important member, then there is a way to shape my identity in order to satisfy both my personal needs and social responsibility. However, what if I do not remain true to myself? What if in addition to people not recognizing me as a human being, I FEEL LIKE I AM INVISIBLE?