Overlooking the Harlem and Hudson Rivers, the Morris Jumel Mansion served as a strategic location for George Washington during the keynote battle of Harlem Heights. The Morris Jumel Mansion, built by Roger Morris, served as a shelter and headquarters for many more influential individuals such as the British, Stephen Jumel, Eliza Bowen, Aaron Burr and much more.

“In my visit, I looked for the distinct architectural and decorative styles that were implemented by the Jumels. These styles, particularly Eliza Jumel’s bright green bedchamber, jump out at the visitor and catch the eye with intense appeal. Though the house has passed through the hands of many owners over its history, its majestic presence has evidently never diminished.” – Nabila Akthar

“The magnitude of the view overlooking the Harlem and Hudson has diminished by the recent installment of trees and much taller modern buildings. But regardless, I was able to understand the significance of the mansion’s viewing advantage being perched on the highest point on Manhattan. It was quite surreal walking through the mansion knowing that individuals of such high power once eat, sleeped, planned, and relaxed in these very halls that I walked in. We were even allowed to view the dining hall and the various utensils that the greats used while residing in this mansion.” – Jingyih Lee