The United States of America has long appealed to the plight of the immigrant—one that is so embedded in our culture that we even etched the sonnet, “The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus into the Statue of Liberty. However, the ever-dynamic New York is not the same place that immigrants flocked to in hopes of a better life. Instead, a “new” New York has emerged; one that only appeals to the extraordinarily wealthy, capable of sustaining an extravagant, grandiose lifestyle.  This is a new concept that has been engrained into my consciousness and what I found particularly interesting about Joe Salvo’s talk—the fact that he quotes statistics conflicting with this concept. He stated that the percent of foreign-born people of New York City is 37.6% of the total population—a figure that has increased substantially over the recent years. However, I thought that the percent of foreign-born people living in New York City would decrease due to the exponentially increasing cost of living in New York City. Usually, immigration is synonymous with poverty, and I always imagined it to be very difficult to immigrate to New York City. This has made me question the types of immigrants who are entering New York City, as well as consider whether they are not as impoverished as in previous generations. I would personally be interested in perhaps seeing what types of professions the immigrants to New York City have, what they earned before and after they immigrated, and in addition what is the cost of living both the country they came from and in the U.S.