Oct 19 2009

US imperialism = the divine will of God

Mcalister begins by painting the Left Behind novels as a strong supporter of US intervention or disruption of Middles Eastern politics. I was not entirely sure if she was indicating that the books incited people to support US military action or simply that the books were another manifestation of a mindset that already existed. Before the reader oversimplifies the role of the novels in our time she encourages us to find what makes the Left Behind series different from its predecessors. To be honest the only series that I can think of similar to Left Behind that infiltrated popular culture is Pilgrim’s Progress. I never actually read either but I remember seeing a film adaptation of both prior to taking this class. To be honest I was really unaware of a religious calling to protect Israeli state at all costs. As I continue to read and learn in this class I feel like an outsider learning all of these things about evangelicals and what they supposedly believe. But back to the issue at hand, is the pro-Israel sentiment in America is largely fueled by Israel’s role in end-time prophecy? Where do the Palestinians go? I do not think this makes any sense and I am angered that she argues that Americans (evangelicals anyhow) are largely invested in this region based upon their role at the end of the world. This has not been my most cohesive blog entry but I am not sure of what to say really. I am annoyed with this group of evangelicals that have completely disregarded the plight of a people who have been displaced in their own country. I am also annoyed at myself for not figuring this out on my own. I do not want to racialize this, but hell it reeks of racism and religious discrimination. I am ashamed really to be associated with America in general but this is another thing that I am able to add to my current list of grievances. Right now I am unable yet again to identify with American evangelicalism despite being Christian and a similar claim to acknowledge the same God because there is a serious disconnect between reality and their reality. I am not able to fully articulate how I feel but it is quite disheartening for the Palestinians and other Israelis to be used simply as a means to an end apocalyptic end.

Comments Off on US imperialism = the divine will of God

Comments are closed at this time.