Philippe Petit: The Truth

Well I have been going back to the beginning of our blog, reading every post and commenting on all of them that I feel I have something to say, and I found that everyone mention Philippe Petit’s betrayal of his friends after he achieved his dream.  I have some news for you.  He did not really cut ties with his friends after he walked between the towers, in fact for the filming of “Man on Wire”, it was Petit himself that had brought all of them back together on the same day to do the filming for the documentary.  I was thoroughly shocked when I had saw the movie and see Petit’s choice to leave behind his friends but only now after reading everyone’s blog posts have I decided to look into it.  According to information on pyschologytoday.com he never really abandoned his friends and instead the reason the film portrayed it as such was to make it carry more meaning even if it distorts reality.

If you really think about it, the way the producer created it, he offered a greater story, as many of us had left questioning ourselves about how far are we willing to go to accomplish our dream and what can possibly happen to us after we do?  It is a relief to know that Petit was not really the Petit depicted in the film, of course he was still driven with passion and his friends did sacrifice a lot of their time to get Petit to be able to do the walk, but Petit did not take them all for granted and leave them in the dust.

One thought on “Philippe Petit: The Truth

1. Kevin, very well done. Interesting information. Thanks.
    Food for thought, on many fronts: artistic ambition, making of documentaries, our reactions, our wishful thinking, truth and partial truth, ect.