Community in Italian Harlem

A life of “exploitation, endurance, unemployment, difficulty, and separation” (27).

The most important thing to Italians coming to America (and Italians back home) was family – la famiglia.  This stereotype is still very prevalent today, but I think it’s something true and beautiful about the Italian community.  More than mourning the loss of their Italian homeland, immigrants mourned the loss of having their extended family surrounding them.  Orsi emphasizes the fact that many came here in hopes of either going back with enough money to live in Italy, or to make enough money to bring the rest of the family over – I don’t think this is much different than other immigrant groups.  Where there might be a difference is in their passion and determination in this endeavor.  Many looked down upon the Italian community for being “docile” and weak against their padroni.  The Italians recognized how easily they could be replaced in the workforce, and therefore took the exploitation in order to keep a job.

More so than trying to instill a love and fondness for the mother country, Italian immigrants tried to instill Italian cultural values on their children – “traditional patterns of respect, familial obligations, and social behavior” (20).

One thing I found very interesting and extremely prevalent in the first two chapters was the gender inequality.  Orsi constantly talks about the “men in the street” and the “women crawling on their hands and feet.”  Though both men and women worked, I find it surprising that a population just trying to get by was able to maintain such a traditional gender role structure.

la Madonna

Virgen del Carmen – Andalucia, Spain

Devotion to the Madonna – Italian Harlem

I just wanted to briefly highlight this extremely religious, emotional, and cultural festival that is mentioned in the first chapter.  As I was reading, I was reminded of a similar festival that takes place in my father’s home country (Spain), the festival of the Virgen del Carmen.  The statue of Mary is taken out of the church and is paraded through the streets, and it is quite an honor to be carrying her.  The event attracts quite a crowd.

I’m not sure for the reason of little immigration from southern Spain to the United States, but, I think there is a lot in common with the southern European countries – especially Italy and Spain, and especially in their close ties to religiosity (whether for spiritual or superstitious reasons).

Marina B. Nebro