Race and Religion – Chapter 3

Goldschmidt covers various topics within Chapter 3 in an attempt to analyze the very clear social separation between Blacks and Jews in Crown Heights. The main two reasons being differences in religion and food. An interesting point that is brought up, is the idea that New York city and the industrialization of such an urban center already promotes such individualism that in many other cases and areas, many neighbors still do not make an effort to socialize and connect with each other. So why is there such a focus and attempt to bring together the Hasidic Jews, Afro-Caribbean, and African American communities that live together in Crown Heights? Goldshmidt simplifies the answer to the idea that there is growing tension in the community since the violence and occurrences in August of 1991 and has ultimately devloped into a much larger, political problem.

From personal experience, growing up in southern Queens, I found that I did interact with many of my neighbors. It was brought up from one account that a Hasidic woman did not want her children playing with others who did not share the same religion because the kids were “too different”. As a kid, my neighborhood was diverse and I played with and greeted my neighbors regularly. Today, though our neighbor hood has become less diverse, my family still attempt to greet and chat with our neighbors on a casual level, not to the extent of inviting them into our homes unlike when I was younger.

Goldshmidt brings up an example of the organization “Mothers to Mothers” as a way to show that Blacks and Jews can get over cultural boundaries. The argument that the two communities are simply “too different” falters because as one member explains, it is simply a matter of understanding the other’s culture. I believe that the idea that the difference in religion and food are not what separates the two communities but how each individual perceives and acts upon these differences that cause the divide. Goldshmidt’s account show two different sides to verify this, those who simply do not open themselves to a different culture and those who attempt to overcome such barriers.

Trish Anne Roque