Muslim Day Parade

Susan Slyomovics offers us a glimpse into the creation and execution of the Muslim Day Parade – a yearly parade in dedication to Islam and its components – and also shows us the common New Yorker impression of this parade and its significance. However, Slyomovics argues that the average New Yorkers’ impression of the parade and the organizers’ beliefs about the parade are two entirely different concepts. She believes that most New Yorkers are inclined to view the parade as a demonstration of pride and reaffirm the presence of Islam within New York. Slyomovics sees the parades as a political tool, as a way of the Muslim community to establish themselves as an ethnic group rather than a religious one.

As with many of these readings, one issue that I noticed was once again the theme of political correctness. In the Muslim Day Parade, there are certain aspects of the parade that need to be curtailed so as not to be seen as “a threat to American society,” such as certain proclamations and calls. Therefore, I will ask this question – if they cannot express themselves fully, and if they need to hide certain parts of their religious expression – is that truly religious freedom? This brings us back to the topic of cultural pluralism. If the more palatable aspects of culture are the only ones that can be shown, is it really culture, or is it just for a market?

I am inclined to agree with Slyomovics in her theory that this parade is less of a statement on pride and more of a political usage. I believe it is there to unite and rally the extremely diverse Muslim community. Like the term “Hispanic,” they are not bound together by skin color, but by another overall factor – their religion, and that causes confusion on what a “Muslim” actually is. I believe this parade is a means to figure out that fundamental question.