“Resolviendo…”

Before reading this article, I would have never thought to consider the undocumented among those who tragically died during 9/11. It’s terrible to think that so many could have passed away without any recognition.

Dealing with undocumented people in the United States is a complicated issue. One of the biggest issues the U.S. faces, is how to treat the undocumented when they are not protected by our legal system and are therefore not equals, legally, to U.S. citizens. However, I feel that in times of crises, legal citizenship should no longer become an issue, and the situation becomes more of a humanitarian crisis in which relief groups should focus on all individuals involved equally.

When the article explained that some families from other countries were given a hard time when they asked for information regarding their loved ones who worked illegally in the Twin Towers, I was not surprised but I was severely disappointed. I understand how complicated it becomes trying to find information on victims with false names and information. However, reuniting families or providing closure to loved ones should not have been exclusive to only some of those who worked in the Twin Towers, they should have tried to account for all workers from the start.

That being said, I’m surprised that so few groups stood up and tried to help the undocumented. Why did the undocumented become a separate issue to begin with? Aren’t we all human beings with some form of a family? Shouldn’t it be a natural right for a family to be reunited or even informed in a time of crises? Why didn’t relief groups focus on all individuals in the Twin Towers? Why did one relief group have to stand up and deal with all the undocumented on their own with such little resources?

It’s incredible to think what the few individuals can accomplish with the right amount of dedication and determination. Tepeyac should be publically praised for their humanitarian efforts. Regardless over whether or not the people they helped were legal citizens, they still helped thousands in need and their time and effort should not go unrecognized.

-Christina Torossian