From the beginning of this task, I knew that I wanted my exhibit to be borderline cynical. I feel very strongly about this topic and I wanted visitors to leave my exhibit with a significant feeling in their hearts about our planet. My main goal was to create a deep emotional connection between the actions of humans and the effect on our planet. Such an emotion, that people went out and changed their actions to better the world we live in.

The lobby is the first installation which I planned to be breathtaking. Visitors are welcomed by what natureĀ should look like. They hear birds chirping and flying overhead, which most New Yorkers have forgotten what it sounds like. They see incredible shades of green and colorful flowers, which seem so estranged in the concrete jungle. The trees are next to each in bunches and clutters, different from those perfectly spaced on the sidewalks. This small part of New York looks the way it would have, if humans weren’t around.

I insisted on visitors checking in all bags, cellphones, and other electronics because they need to be free of all burdens when walking around. They should direct all of their attention to a problem that could cause them to be left with nothing, not even a home, let alone their prized electronic possessions.

All of the artwork is on “hanging walls” that descend from the high ceilings and compel visitors to physically walk around the art to continue forward. This includes all senses and makes the viewer aware of the art and their surroundings. The hallways are dark, except for lights that accent the artwork. All of the focus is directed toward the art.

The first three pieces of art show facts and results of global warming. These are shocking photos of real life examples of the effects of global warming. Afterwards, the visitors are surrounded by four images that exemplify two main points. The photographs of Kenya show nature as a result of global warming and the photographs of the people show how some don’t care or aren’t aware, while others are devastatingly affected. The next four pieces show an attempt for change. While protests and political meeting are somewhat effective, others have to spend physical strength and days of time to protect themselves from the effects of global warming. Last but certainly not least, visitors are approached by a huge hanging wall with the most powerful photograph. There are a couple of dead trees with candles in front of them. A rally was organized to grieve over our dying nature, and this image is quite moving. Behind this, a more cynical one sends off the visitors, wishing them a global warming day, making a witty remark on a widely used phrase.

After this, Installation B offers visitors a preview of what the beautiful lobby looks like after deforestation, desertification, garbage and pollution. People walk on dry dirt, which leaves footprints in the next hallway, showing a physical representation of each person’s impact on our planet. In the next hallway, visitors have the chance to document their promises to making the planet great again. There are no suggestions on purpose, since people are well informed about things that harm our planet and how they could help. At last, they walk through visibly the same instillation as B, only this time, if they look closely enough, they will see a small sprouting plant in the middle of all the dirt, in symbolism of hope, change, and regrowth.

Visitors can pick up their checked in items outside, and they cannot return in the lobby right afterwards. This rule symbolizes that the actions we take toward our planet are not just things we could go back and fix. It will take time, hard work, and dedication from a majority of the people on the planet, to bring back the nature that was once so beautiful and appreciated.