Fall 2017

Shakespeare like Never Before

I’ve always hated reading Shakespeare. I say this after reading a multitude of Shakespeare back in High School. It was the death of me but it seemed to sneak upon the assigned reading list every year of English class. My extensive repertoire includes full plays of Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet and Othello. Some were read at home or in class and even acted out with props but I never enjoyed any of it. Partially because the words never seemed to make sense to me no matter how many times I read it. I remember falling asleep in class because the phrases went through one ear and out the other. My classmates including myself stumbled on Shakespeare’s ancient words and phrases because it was something that we were not used to. I always felt embarrassed to read these plays in class since I would make a fool of myself. Tests and essays based on his works always came back with unsatisfactory grades and feedback. English is my second language and I couldn’t bear to learn another one: Shakespeare. 

When I looked at my class syllabus to see where we were going, I admit, I was not that ecstatic. My terrible experiences with Shakespeare in High School was at fault. But it was an event that the exciting Professor Eversley had picked out so I had high hopes going in. One stop away from Baruch College, 14th street Union Square was a fun and exciting part of the city. There were different stores that made the place special and memorable. The ambiance of the area was beautiful because of the holiday decorations and string lights that seemed like shining stars. The Christmas spirit filled the whole neighborhood and I couldn’t help but get excited for what was coming next.

The Classic Stage Company had set up a small coffee cafe before the entrance of the actual Fiasco Theatre. I saw a diverse group of people all bundled up in their coats and scarfs talking to one another over a warm cup of coffee. I can see in their eyes that these people had something in common to talk about: their passion for theatrical arts. Being here, with my classmates and all these sophisticated people, it was overwhelming and awkward at first, but as time passed we all got comfortable.
It was time to go in and I handed my ticket to the lady and received a large pamphlet of the play. Right away, I entered the Fiasco Theatre but it was something that I haven’t experienced before. Words of awe “Wow”, left my mouth as I took slow steps in the room, trying to process every little detail in front of me. The theatre was intimate with seats literally right on the stage. I have never seen a professional play this close and it definitely got me engaged. The lights dimmed down and the Twelfth Night had begun. The cast were actors, musicians, singers and much more. The solos and ensembles were absolutely amazing. Their singing, and acting was amplified in the small theatre and all I can say is that it was breathtaking. There were some dialogues in which I didn’t understand but nonetheless, this Shakespearean play was something that I never experienced before. The performance exceeded my expectations. All the props, talent and hard work that these performers and stage crew showed, truly made my night special.

« »