Brooklyn Museum Visit

During the Night at the Museum, I wandered through rooms filled with a multitude of diverse art pieces, from an Egyptian wing bursting with artifacts  to a modern perspective on the theme, “Infinite blue”, resplendent with cursive neon lettering and a mesmerizing iridescent plate. When I went upstairs after admiring the giant quipu and Infinite Blue art, my attention was grabbed by a galaxy of silver droplets glistening as a backdrop to several marble statues.

The theme of the whole exhibit seemed to be showcasing pieces of art in front of walls decorated with silver words or designs. For instance, as shown by the pictures above of two pieces of art in the exhibit, the walls behind the subjects are covered with silver writing or silver spirals. The silver dots in the second picture look like water droplets, and as they spiral outwards, the wall seemingly resembles a tunnel, or even a galaxy. In front of the wall stand two Greco or Romanesque statues of women in flowing robes, posed in the midst of an action. One cups her ear listening to something while the other searches for something in the opposite direction. The juxtaposition of the two senses in action (and in opposite directions) really captured my attention, as well as the deliberate positioning of the statues — one is crouched low while the other is standing tall.

In the first picture, the words “I SAW MYSELF SEE MYSELF…” are placed above a mirror, desk, and chair resembling a vanity. There can be many interpretations of both the words and the dressing table. Whenever I see a mirror used in a symbolic context, I automatically think that it represents looking past the physical in favor of looking within oneself. The words are silver, almost clear, as if mimicking the mirror in trying to reflect something, maybe a thought or an idea instead of an image.  Again, we see that the senses are being put in action (with the past and present forms of “see”) much like in the second picture where sight and hearing are depicted.