Luhring Augustine Gallery- Simone Leigh

I’ve always been the type of person to analyze the world around me. I find joy in deriving meaning from works of art, such as literature, cinema, and music. But, I’ve always found classical art, painting, sculptures,  etc., intimidating. Though, Simone Leigh’s work clicks with me more than other galleries and museums I’ve previously went to. Here is my analysis of her work below:

The sculpture above reminds me of those Ancient Greek sculptures. I think Simone is trying to uplift the history of black women through using this white stone to mimic Ancient Greek sculptures. She tells us that black women have rich history too, and she reminds us of this through the material she uses. To even further the strong image of black women, this sculpture of a head mirrors an image of Medusa, a Greek Mythology monster who was so beautiful, people who looked at her turned into stone. I thought it this through the sculpture’s hair that looks like snakes like in Medusa’s hair. I think Simone Leigh plays with society’s perception that our definition of beauty are typically associated with Caucasian standards by suggesting a black woman can be just as beautiful as Medusa.  Additionally, Simone Leigh further emphasizes the fact that other races, like black women, are not usually thought of first in beauty and power, like Medusa, through the sculpture’s lack of eyes. Sight gives us freedom to move about; without the sculpture’s eyes, Simone Leigh suggests black women don’t have the same upward social mobility as others (because you need sight to move around).  Lastly, I love the fact that Simone Leigh uses mostly heads in her sculptures. She tells us that these black women are strong through the emphasis of the “head” of the room (like the “head” of the family).

The photo above shows a tall woman, with what seemingly looks like a bowl/vase/jug for a head. She also wears a large grass or hay material skirt. This skirt reminds me of traditional tribal huts back in Africa– a home. I think Simone Leigh is trying to say that, by having the woman’s head/upper body on top of the hut, black woman is the “heads” of the household. They protect the house like a siren. This image of a siren comes to my head because sirens are usually large microphones on top of a building. The woman’s head looks like a siren because of its large opening. Her head can also show that she’s a provider for her house because it also resembles a jar/jug. One can fill water, seeds, and food in these jugs, and carry it back home to feed the family. Thus, emphasizing the importance of black women because of their strong, independent characteristics. You can also see how Simone Leigh tries to emphasize the beauty of this image by making us look up at the sculpture: we enact look up to these women!

Overall, I find Simone Leigh’s sculptures inspiring and supportive of black culture and feminism. I found it easy to analyze these sculptures and I felt this trip was exciting and worth-while!