Chef’s Table- Jeong Kwan’s Deceptive Art

For IDC, we were asked to write a post about any art in we’ve encountered recently. I was never into watching rigged cooking shows, but Chef’s Table is different. Chef’s Table, a Netflix documentary, gives a platform for the chef to tell their narrative (their inspiration, meaning of dishes, triumphs and tribulations). Each episode focuses on a different chef around the world. In one particular episode featuring Jeong Kwan, a chef and monk from South Korea, especially captured my attention.

Jeong Kwan, like any other buddhist monk, have a restricted diet. Jeong can’t eat garlic, onions, scallions, chives, or leeks because it’ll disrupt one’s ability to keep a calm and static mind. These five spices give flavor to dishes, yet Jeong Kwan is such a great chef, she doesn’t need them. Jeong Kwan is the head chef at her temple, and seeks to provide tasty vegetarian options for her peers. I find her dishes spectacular and familiar. Take a look at some of her creations below:

All her dishes are deceiving. They look and are made of simple ingredients, yet they gives off a flavor bomb. I’ve never truly appreciated cooking until I saw Jeong Kwan’s work. I did not know that cooking could have layers to it: remind us of home, our cultures, surrounds, and life in general. Jeong Kwan’s dishes especially remind me of home because I’m half Korean too. I remember having pickled vegetable side dishes, like her “Pickled Vegetables in Bamboo” meal. Although I’ve never tasted her work, I still feel comfort and familiar.

I encourage you to watch some episodes of Chef’s Table to explore different cultures and perspectives through a Chef’s mind and work!

One thought on “Chef’s Table- Jeong Kwan’s Deceptive Art