Simone Leigh

During our class visit to the Chelsea Galleries last Tuesday, I gained deeper insight on what it meant to look at the arts in New York City. I have previously been gallery hopping in the Chelsea area, however I never really paid much attention to the artwork. Walking into the Luhring Gallery and seeing the pieces of ceramic sculptures created by Simone Leigh, I was immediately intrigued by the depth and intensity of the art. Learning from Professor Eversley, I learned more about the etiquette of galleries and how the white walls should not be touched and are meant to be kept pristine.

When I first walked into the gallery, I was still not exactly sure what I was looking at. The art confused me. Looking deeper, I saw the repetition of ideas in the artwork that slowly made sense to me. I saw the repeated braiding of the hair on the sculptures, the straw that represented the bodies of these sculptures, and how all of the sculptures were missing eyes and only had the outline of the nose and mouth. I noticed how there were cones on some of their heads. I also noticed how Simone Leigh wasn’t afraid to show the women’s naked bodies and reveal their breasts. All these concepts designed in the sculptures are representative of African American females, which are needed of more in the art world.

What I really admired about Simone Leigh’s pieces is how they defy the norms that were created by white artists. She went against the traditional westernized culture and defined her own art to represent herself. Simone Leigh’s ceramic sculptures are more representative of African American females, which is extremely important at this time. The braids or cornrows that she emphasized in each sculpture depicts the African American features. Leigh’s work beautifully portrays and emphasizes the need for inclusivity in all aspects of life, including art. I learned a lot from this experience of how to view art, to be curious and look beyond the surface of each piece.

One thought on “Simone Leigh