The Captivation of Dance

Although I have never been to a dance performance before, I tend to prefer seeing plays and musicals rather than attending dance performances because I don’t believe dance performances yield the same level of insightful knowledge and entertainment as plays and musicals do.  This initial perception entirely changed after attending the Fall for Dance Festival on October 12 to see four brilliant dance performances titled Ballet Hispánico, Tangos, El cruce sobre el Niágara, and Stack-Up.  The skill and athleticism of the dancers, as well as the talent of musicians, captivated me and the entire audience.  The performances offered a zest of unique themes, emotions, and symbolism as the choreography, attire, and music provided several insights I initially didn’t believe I would discover from attending the performances.  The two performances I enjoyed the most were Tangos and Stack-Up because of the glamour and hidden meaning instilled in the scenes.

The music for Tangos with the inclusion of the trumpet produced a jazz type feeling as I watched the tall male dancer flawlessly dance with the elegant female dancer as she executed impressive movements while in heels!  The performance was broken up into four parts, with one of the parts entirely dedicated to the band performing a music score.  The other three parts symbolized the stages of love and difficulty within a relationship.  The first part consisted of both dancers in stylish evening dance attire as they moved, spun around, and trusted each other to complete impressive stunts.  The second part depicted both individuals partially drunk as they drank champagne and danced in a less romantic but still intimate style.  In some moments, it appeared the dancers would get annoyed at each other but would overcome the annoyance with love and admiration.  The last part presented both individuals dancing and moving vividly like in the first part, and are seen solidifying their relationship.  I loved the final moment when the female dancer takes the male dancer’s hand to run off stage, but the male dancer briefly pauses with a smile and wave to the audience before exiting and ending the performance.

Stack-Up was more somber in regards to its message and the emotions invoked from the scenes.  The setting and theme of the performance showcased the lives of the diverse individuals of Los Angeles.  The dancers illustrated various relationships and tensions between each other as they constantly navigated the fast-paced urban environment of Los Angeles.  The extensive amount of movement and noise occurring all around the dancers demonstrated the interference and difficulties city people face when handling their own inner conflicts.  Some of the moments seemed to highlight the hardships of dealing with mental illnesses while in a city environment like depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder.  The most intriguing part was how the diversity of attire, style, and personality showed how societal norms wouldn’t restrict the individuality of the dancers.  Everyone had their unique story of happiness and challenges and didn’t let anything stop them from expressing themselves.

Overall, the dance festival gave me a new taste and appreciation for modern dance.  The emotions, drama, and insights conveyed through precise movements and music can have powerful results.  Also, I strongly respect some of those women who were impressively dancing in heels and the men who did perfect splits to showcase their fantastic flexibility!  Attending the dance festival was well worth it for the knowledge and entertainment gained from it.