Eviction or Pay Rent!

I remember that my school had done an adaptation of the popular musical Rent during my sophomore year of high school. I never really appreciated the film because of the poor performance that was done. This meant the mics weren’t working half the time, the lighting made it hard to see and the props were poorly made because of the lack of materials that we had. Overall, watching Rent for the very first time was not the best experience. However, one of the most memorable parts about watching the play was the song “Seasons of Love.” I remember leaving that play with that song still stuck in my head because of how catchy it was.

Watching the movie for the second time, I realized how enjoyable the film was. I really enjoyed listening to the rest of the song in the soundtrack and I was engaged by each scene in the film. I liked how the film highlighted taboo issues, especially at the time the movie was released, which was back in November 2005. The film brings into light sexuality, HIV/AIDs and the struggle ofliving in New York City. There is diversity in the characters from straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, white and black made the film that much more relatable. The film also diversifies in terms of interests; there are desired filmmakers, lawyers, and musicians. The film shocked me in the fact that it does not cover or try to hide the struggle that many people have to go through with getting by and paying rent, dealing with the death of a friend, and even dealing with lifelong diseases such as HIV/AIDs. The ending really showed the unity between the group of friends that had to come together in search of their friend Mimi after not seeing each other for a while.

This film was definitely ahead of its time and the issues that are brought up should still be addressed in today’s society as well, whether it is through film, music, photography, or any other means of art and creativity. The songs in the film are catchy and encompass the ideas that each scene tries to portray. One of my favorite songs still remains to be “Seasons of Love.” The song appears twice, in the opening scene and the scene where Angel dies. This song embodies the idea of unity in their friendship and how much they truly care about each other. I really liked the movie and its message, and the heart-catching storyline.

One thought on “Eviction or Pay Rent!

1. I totally agree with your comment on how transparent Rent is in showing the struggles and issues of HIV/AIDS. I’m glad you enjoyed the movie, even though it’s your second time watching it!