Japan Society Gallery

Through the middle of January 2019, one can go see the first New York solo exhibition of one of Japan’s most versatile artists whose name is Yasumasa Morimura. This display can be found in Japan Society Gallery and is a thirty-year project known as Ego Obscura. The story behind it is that Morimura transforms himself into numerous historical and current figures to critique the figures we choose to give recognition to in art history and to question principles of race and gender as well. Yasumasa Morimura has depicted himself as Jesus, Mona Lisa, Van Gogh, Madonna, Napoleon, and Frida Kahlo to name a few. In doing so, Morimura implies that his art should mean just as much as theirs do because of how similar they are, regardless of the fact that he isn’t European, for example. This exhibit really brings out the artist’s self-portrait shots and creates a fusion of Western icons with Japanese cultural influence, as reflected in his pieces.

I also really liked the movie that played in the Japan Society Gallery because the audience got to see “firsthand” how Morimura transformed himself into the twelve other artists he chose to explore. Yasumasa Morimura “has had solo exhibitions at the Pushkin Museum, Moscow (2017), National Museum of Art, Osaka (2016), and the Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh (2014).” I think it’s great that his artistic choices are gaining more recognition in a place like New York because the depict a need for greater acceptance in the community.

Until I left the gallery, I did not even know there was an imbalance in the art world with regards to representation. I highly enjoyed the variety of self-portraits Morimura had chosen to portray himself in because he got to control his own narrative and exhibition, regardless of what has been said and done towards the Japanese in our world’s history.

One thought on “Japan Society Gallery

1. I appreciate your commentary on the lack of awareness many have on the inequality of representation in the art world. I did not get a chance to visit the Japan Society, but Morimura’s work really brought my attention to the idea that the art world does not represent all cultures evenly. I actually appreciate Morimura’s art more than some iconic artists. Many artists claim they are raising awareness for an issue through their art, but there is no need for awareness on their issue. This is because most issues they cover are already covered in some shape or form in the media. They “raise awareness” but do not create change. Morimura is different because he is raising awareness for an issue that is not widely covered and he is, in fact, providing a solution. The solution he is providing involves the inclusion of Japanese culture in his art. He is bringing attention to Japanese culture by making most of his subjects and settings Japanese. I like how you mentioned the movie. Many people in the class told me about the movie and said Morimura was a strange individual. I still think it must have been great watching him speak about how he transformed into different artists. Great post!