The Inspiring Journey of Michael Kriak

As a Finance major who is also interested in dance and theater, I always thought that my career couldn’t encompass both. However, a conversation with a producer of Broadway’s Dear Evan Hansen, Michael Kriak, proved to me that it is possible to be involved in both business and the arts. From starting out as an accountant to becoming a CFO of a digital media website to being a producer of a successful Broadway show, Kriak showed that it is possible to venture into different fields and industries that you find a passion in.

Speaking to him about Dear Evan Hansen, I could tell how passionate Kriak was about the show and its impact on the audiences. He said that one of his favorite aspects about the show is seeing how it brings families closer together after watching it. The musical is about a socially-awkward kid who suddenly finds himself the center of attention after being linked to another boy who had just recently committed suicide. It is an incredible story that touches upon important social issues and definitely leaves an impact on the audience. When the show won a Tony Award, Kriak recalled how incredible and surreal it was to go up on the stage to accept the award. When he first started his career as an accountant he never imagined that one day he would be accepting a Tony for a Broadway musical. Kriak’s journey is inspiring and shows me that I don’t have to give up my love for theater even if I’m planning to have a career in business.

It was very interesting to hear about all the work that goes into creating a Broadway show. I was stunned to hear that a show often takes 6-7 years to make. From finding the right theater, to casting actors, to advertising the show, there is a lot of talent and effort that goes into creating a musical. As a producer, Kriak’s role was to oversee the financial functions of the production as well as the marketing strategy. After its success on Broadway, Dear Evan Hansen, is now going on tour in the U.S. as well as opening in Toronto and London. After inquiring about how a show goes on tour, I learned that Broadway shows have a set list of theaters they go to around the country once they become successful. However opening internationally is much more difficult as the producers need to work to find specific locations and theaters where the show can open.

Listening to Michael Kriak and his passion for business, media, and the arts was truly inspiring. After his successful with Dear Evan Hansen, Kriak became a producer for a new Broadway show, The Prom. His journey shows that it is possible to follow your different interests and passions as long as you keep an open mind and take advantage of the amazing opportunities that may come your way.