Penny Arcade: Explicit and Thought-Provoking

In most art classes I have been in (or most classes in general), the curriculum tends to skirt around explicit or disturbing content. Art is particularly objective – when studying subjects that are nude or partially exposed in class, we study them in an analytical light, which makes it less controversial than seeing people performing sexual acts naked. This is not to say sexually-charged content is banned from schools in New York (there have been many cases in other states where parents or the school itself have thrown out such content, regarding it unfit for adolescents). I watched The Godfather in my freshman year of high school and that was eye-opening enough in terms of abundant gore and sex. Then, first semester freshman year I was introduced to M.I.A.’s controversial video “Born Free,” which has no qualms about showing the viewers guns; sex; heads and limbs scattering in the air after an explosion. Most of the sexually-charged or gory content we see in class focuses on political or societal issues that are being faced during the producers’ time.

Penny Arcade’s work is no different – she takes issues ranging from gentrification to the LGBTQ+ community and makes then a focal point in her shows. Before we went in as a class to meet her, we watched a clip of “Bitch!Dyke!Faghag!Whore!,” a show that featured strippers and performers that essentially retaliated against increasing censorship and homophobia in the country. It fought the stigmas associated with being a stripper, a feminist, or queer, using performers and stories to promote acceptance of minorities in race, gender, and sexual orientation. When we met Penny Arcade (or Susana Ventura) in person, I was blown away by how passionate she was about all these issues, and how she utilized her show as a medium to get her opinions out into the world, no matter how controversial they were. She then delved into the issue of gentrification in New York City and how it especially impacted the artists in the lower class, who were forced to move or face increasing costs of living.

After meeting her, I visited her site (pennyarcade.tv) and read through her posts about the inspiration behind her shows, what the people should get out of it, and larger, real-world issues that impact everyone, not just the demographics the show focuses on. I found her posts inspiring and incredibly well-meaning and look forward to the development of future shows.