A Reflection

My first Macaulay Seminar was definitely an incredible experience. From visiting art galleries in Chelsea to learning about poetry to attending an opera at the Metropolitan Opera House, this class gave me the opportunity to discover and experience the incredible culture of New York City. Before IDC, I did not know about small theater productions such as the Classic Stage Company’s The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui or the dance showcases such as the Fall for Dance Festival that take place around the city. It was amazing to see the diverse work of various artists and the beautiful cultures that are represented through art. This class taught me that art is about finding your voice and expressing that voice through paintings or dance or plays. We each have our own stories to tell and art is a way of expressing those stories.

As a big fan of dance, I really enjoyed our outing to the Fall for Dance Festival as I got to see a variety of dance styles performed by different companies. It was incredible to see different cultures and themes being showcased through movement and it was an absolutely beautiful representation of dance. However, while dance still remains my favorite form of art, our class has given me a greater appreciation for different types of art. I was not too fond of paintings or art museums but after seeing the work of different artists featured in the Chelsea art galleries and the Museum of Modern Art I got a greater idea of what it was like to look at art and appreciate its beauty and meaning. Reading about the background of artists before visiting each exhibit really helped give me greater context about the artwork which made all of the visits more enjoyable. There is so much to learn from art and this class has showed me how beautiful and diverse the art of New York City really is.

I want to thank Professor Eversley for bringing us on our many adventures and showing us the many different aspects of art that New York City has to offer. I have experienced so much that I would not have been able to if it weren’t for IDC. Art is a representation of our voice. It showcases our individuality and culture and tells our own story. There is so much art that surrounds us every day and now it is up to us to open our eyes and see the beautiful art and culture of New York City.