La Boheme

My last IDC event was definitely one of the most memorable ones. This was the first time I have ever been to an opera and to be quite honest I was not sure what to expect. Once I got my ticket from professor Eversley, I walked in and the entrance blew my expectation. Walking into the Metropoliton Opera at Lincoln center made me feel like I was at a James Bond movie. As I made my way up to my seat, I looked at the view from each floor. Although my IDC class watched the full Opera, it was very difficult to comprehend everything because we were seated very high and far up from the opera. However, using the reference of the film we watched in class and the reading I did before the opera made it easier.

The play was a beautiful story around the 1830 is France during Christmas Eve. A group of four poor but happy people living in an attic decide to go to a bar. However, one of them a poet named Rodolfo decides to stay home to finish his poem. His beautiful neighbor knocks on his door to light her candle and at that moment they fall in love. However, after a year Mimi is diagnosed with tuberculosis and Rodolfo cannot afford medicine for her so they part ways. Months later, Mimi is found on the streets in horrible condition and even though Rodolfo and his friends get her medicine it is too late. Mimi passes away, but she dies next to the love of her life.

Th e last scene was really moving because it shows that wealth is not necessary for a happy life but it does certainly help. The crying of Mimi’s name is certainly moving and I found this opera interesting because it was not centered around the wealthy. Rather it appealed to the lower class and it was a beautiful love story.

However, I do have to admit I dozed off sometime in the middle of the opera. I certainly should have grabbed a granola bar on my way to Lincoln center. But what this last event taught me is that art is not only something for the wealthy class to enjoy. People of all ages and socioeconomic background can enjoy art as well. I cannot wait for what the next IDC classes hold for me in the upcoming semesters

.