the importance of nyc for ME

I constantly asked myself the question where would I be if I never immigrated to New York City. I only came to that realization two summer ago ay the food vendy awards on governorsisland. It was a show on the island. All these hard-working families competed. 25 carts marked their spot on the island, all forming one big circle as hundreds of attendees tasted sample from every cart to fill out the voting ballets. The cooks behind the grills focused to chef up their most aesthetic plate for the judges. After the judges delicately savored every bite from all the carts, everyone anxiously awaited the announcements.

The host of the event announced the winner for “The Best Rookie of 2017,” “The Best Dessert Vendor,” and finally “The People’s Choice.” After several heart-warming speeches, one of the other contestants, a Mexican immigrant named Maria, spoke. She explained that she had been nominated for her grandmother’s tamale recipe but that her grandmother was absent because she was an illegal immigrant and feared the publicity. I realized what New York City is all about. It is about people who face struggles in countries outside the US and seek a better life here. My heart sank along with half of those in the crowd who had been brought to tears. There was a sudden change in emotions however, when my father’s Halal food cart was announced the People’s Choice winner and I focused again on how New York City offers everyone opportunity and often prosperity beyond their dreams. I am grateful to have moved past the slums of Egypt and in a city of opportunity where I can focus on the future. What is important though as I move forward, is I will never forget my past.

Looking back, my life is the way it is due to quick decisions and confrontations. My father’s light bulb moment about the cycle of life in Egypt, my uncle’s “okay” that his little brother should explore the new world, the rapid transaction of signing a sheet of paper claiming that a dozen acres of land has been sold, my father running into a gentleman who agreed to give him a low-priced ticket that fit his budget. It seems as if my life has been moving too fast especially in the city that never sleeps. I’m just one of 3 million foreign born immigrants living in New York City, and just one of 3 million stories. I believe every story has its uniqueness and significance because of the obstacles that led to this point so in a political time like this, we should stand our ground. I wrote this epiphany as a reminder for myself that on the street of New York I can travel the world’s restaurants on one avenue.