Fall Dance Make-Up Assignment

A video that I watched of Junior Cervilla and Guadalupe Garcia at the Domingo Tango Club at Triangulo caught my attention due to the shift in tone of the music and attitude of the dancers. In starting off, they were intense and personified the background music. Nonetheless, the beats became a lower pitch and the vibe of the performers became more free-flowing and they seemed to realize the ease of tension on their faces. The attire that each wore depicts a formal event and a sense of professionalism in what they represent. The black and white of the man and the bold red of the woman and maybe the power struggle of the situation.

A video that I watched of Ballet Hispánico at the Dance Parade NYC 2017 depicted the vibrant and lively Hispanic culture, in my opinion. The whole performance symbolized a sense of freedom and rebirth. The start was a group of people dressed in black, but that was followed by women with vibrant and flowing sea blue and purple dresses. The music was also extremely upbeat and the sounds of the castanets were lively. I thought that the frequency of arms in the air blended with the scenic background was coincidental in expressing freedom and a metaphorical bird.

The video of Acosta Danza at the Fire Island Dance Festival was impressive because it was able to depict the aspects of a real-life relationship. Even more outstanding was the advocacy of the LGBTQ+ community because it shows that all relationships have the same experience and for that reason should be accepted throughout. The elegancy of some parts and the ferocity at others shows the true nature of partnerships. There is always going to be happiness, frustration, and compromise. Nonetheless, the constant tone of the music shows that no matter what happens, love will always encircle them.

In watching “Revelations” by the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, I recognized the implementation of African-American culture into their performance. The upbeat tones that are used symbolized the happiness during the jazz era or the development of the new jack swing in the 1990s. Moreover, the attitudes of the dancers for those specific dances were positive and free flowing and represents the joyful spirit that the culture is renowned for. On the flip side, there was an incorporation of sad and bleak tones, which was first seen at the beginning of the performance. One must also realize that those words characterized the essence of African-American culture at one point during their history, but these dances are connecting the audience with understanding that aspect.