Ballet Hispánico Con Brazos Abiertos

Hundreds of people wait outside to get into the 15th annual Fall for Dance Festival. Bright lights illuminate the cold October night. I stand there not truly knowing what the night entails. The Fall for Dance Festival was one of the most interesting pieces of art I have seen in New York.

Starting the night with what was my clear favorite, was Ballet Hispànico. This ballet group was not your tradition ballet. Ballet Hispànico is a diverse, Latino dance company. The pieces they performed at the festival ranged from slow and emotional to uptempo and extravagant. They were so impactful because of the clear-cut stories they told all through their dances, and the music backing them up. Throughout their dance they told stories of the stereotypical Latin Americans through an American’s eyes, faced with racism and the feeling of not being able to escape.

Ballet Hispànico’s piece that had a lasting impression on myself was when they slowed down the dance. They dimmed the lights and showing off  only two of the dancers instead of the entire group, honing in on them with a navy blue spotlight. There was one male and one female. Here they played a slow song while the dancers performed. Acting as almost a shield and wall, the male stood there as the female dancers pounded on his chest, trying to escape. This symbolized her wanted to escape the racism, yet being trapped by society. As this artwork took place in front of a crowd of hundreds music played in the background with the words, “But I’m a creep.” Then silence. This impactful statement echoed throughout the packed concert hall and echoed throughout our minds as we patiently awaited the next lyric and movement. “I’m a weirdo.” Silence. The girl pushes against the man trying to get away. “What am I doing here?” Silence once again. The dancer shrivels up upon his chest, accepting defeat. “I don’t belong here.” Silence and the lights black out.

This entire scene shook me. I understood what the dancers were trying to portray. Myself, being an adopted Korean, by a white family, in a white community, understood their message. Often overlooked merely based on race is a feeling my minorities feel daily. This feeling was conveyed through the artwork itself. I can truly appreciate something as decisive and impact as such. This is a dance performance I will surely remember.  

One thought on “Ballet Hispánico Con Brazos Abiertos

1. Wow! I really like your introduction because of the descriptive language and imagery! Your focus on the words and significance of the performance was very well-developed. I felt the echoing statements and silence represented the voices of depression and worthlessness that arise when oppressively treated by racist comments and standards. Also, the performance highlighted the duality of positivity and negativity of living up to social standards. On the one hand, social standards may give you the motivation to embrace and achieve something. On the other hand, social standards can cause someone to face numerous difficulties and doubt him or herself. It was interesting to learn about how you relate to the performance. Whether it is based on race or other factors, social standards have their beneficial and adverse effects on all members of society.