Friday Night Dance

Before the Friday night that we spent at the Fall for Dance Festival on October 12, I had never really been to a dance performance before. I had been to Broadway shows and musicals, which I enjoyed because of the stories they told that I could watch unfold. However, with dance, I never felt that there was a story being told. It was more difficult to see what they were trying to portray to the audience. But, being at the Fall for Dance Festival definitely sparked my interest in watching dance.

Running into the theater (because I was late), I immediately noticed the change in the atmosphere. The ceiling and walls were embroidered with intricate gold designs. After the lights dimmed and the first dance started, I was immediately drawn to the way that they moved against the bright colors in the background and the cheerful music. It was interesting to see how everything that went into putting on this show such as the costumes, the lighting, and the music was put into play on stage to enhance the performance and really portray what the artists wanted to get across to the audience. The music was loud and happy and the colors in the background were bright orange and pink. The costumes that the performers were wearing were long and flowy skirts. Just watching the performance, I felt the light hearted mood that captivated my attention.

The dance between the man and woman doing the Tango was definitely one of my favorites. I enjoyed the whole production of how it was put together from the costumes to the lighting, to the orchestra in the background. I was fascinated by the sharp movements of the woman’s feet and how quickly she moved from one dance move to the next. It was fascinating watching how she controlled the dance and how the man was following her. Additionally, the orchestra in the back played a significant role in the dance. The trumpets, piano, and cello carried out the dance and emphasized the sharp movements. The dance movements were in synchronization with the music. I also enjoyed how their dance told a story. Two couples were going out for a night dressed in fancy clothing. The woman wore a black sparkly dress with expensive silver jewelry and black stilettos. The man was in a white button-up shirt and sleek suit. Every aspect that was put together for the dance had a significant impact on the performance. Fall for Dance was a different experience that I definitely enjoyed.