Charles White

On Tuesday my class and I visited the Museum of Modern Art. Here we received a tour of the Charles White exhibit. The woman showed us several specific pieces of White’s works, giving us background and insight. Immediately I was intrigued by the artwork.
Charles White was a prominent artist during the mid 1900s. He created pieces showcasing African Americans as strong figures in society. He grew up in Chicago during the time of the Great Migration, in which African Americans flocked to Northern cities to seek jobs. Charles chose art as his career. He then went on to live in New York and Los Angeles, gaining inspiration by the diverse areas. Charles White managed to create a long-lasting impression in American history as well, by showcasing African Americans.
The piece that I liked the most was the very first piece we saw. It was one portraying five of the most influential African Americans in society called “Five Great American Negroes.” He created the mural, in 1939, in an effort to raise money for the city of Chicago. He allowed the community to choose which figures they valued the most. Those historical people were Sojourner Truth, Booker T. Washington, Frederick Douglass, George Washington Carver and Marian Anderson. The entire concept and motives of the creation were just one aspect that really drew my attention.
The piece is an oil on canvas that scaled the majority of the wall. Here I could get as close to every detail or look from afar and take in the entirety of the frame. The artwork seamlessly guides your eyes through the piece. If read left to right, showed Sojourner Truth proudly looking over and leading a group, then Booker T. Washington preaching to a few elderly. In the center was Frederick Douglass counseling a woman as she cried in his arms. On the far right was Marian Anderson singing into a microphone and George Washington Carver looking into a microscope. Each were proudly and strongly displayed, which is what makes the piece so great and impactful. Charles White continued his usual stylistic choice by showing his figures as very visibly strong. Each person’s arms are enlarged and facial expression is solid. This works as a form of empowerment of African Americans through art. The piece itself is one that truly can be classified as great American art.