Henri Rousseau

I walk up to this gigantic painting of the jungle. The art itself looks like a cartoon. Immediately I notice three things, lions peering out of the leaves, a white women without clothes, and a pitch black person playing what looks like a clarinet. They are clearly deep in the jungle, but how did they get there? There is endless questions that can be asked about this painting.

Describing the piece itself, it’s a large painting, mostly green with very specific pops of color. There are about ten colored flowers, a few birds in the background, an elephant and monkey hiding in the bushes, two lions with intense looking eyes, and the only two humans in the scene. The shrubbery and trees are very long, uncut being deep in the jungle, but also very pretty and natural. The flowers are larger than the people’s heads, looking newly bloomed. I wonder the season in which this was painted. The sun is visible, but far off into the distance and barely visible due to the dense woods.

The one thing that I question the most are the two people. One women is naked, reaching her arm out, but to what and why? Why is she completely naked? Why is she even there, unfazed by the lions who seem to be staring at her? Also the person who looks to be playing a clarinet-like instrument, why are they there? What is the purpose of playing the flute?

The picture itself is very intriguing. With so many questions, I am unsure on my position of the artwork itself. It’s mysterious and draws the viewers to the artwork. It’s the kind of piece that every time I see it, I will have a different viewpoint: that’s what makes it a great work of art.