The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

September 2012
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

RSS New York Times Arts Section

Kenneth Pietrobono: Terms and Conditions

On Thursday, September 6, Kenneth Pietrobono will visit class to talk about his project “Terms and Conditions” that will begin on Friday September 7 @6PM on the High Line.  I’ve posted an essay from Felix Gonzalez-Torres, an artist whose work inspires Pietrobono’s.  Please read it before class.  Here are a few You Tube videos of artists whose work Pietrobono admires:

1. Comment from andrewderosa      Reply
    Time September 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I like the comparison Hennessy Youngman makes about going to a bar and a piece of art. I like how he points out how the monetary aspect of going to a bar (admission, paying for drinks) can hinder one’s experience at the club because it is relatable to when individuals place a financial value on a piece of art which may detract from the original meaning or intention created by the artist.

2. Comment from Ben Chatham      Reply
    Time September 6, 2012 at 2:55 am

I don’t feel like I can process the second video fully. I understand its message, but cannot make sense of her getup. I can sort of get the message in her nakedness signifying her lack of wealth, and the gold shavings hold some value, but it’s all still unclear after the first viewing.

• Comment from Kenneth Pietrobono      Reply
      Time September 6, 2012 at 3:34 am

Hi Ben,
      Good thoughts for sure. I’ve attached a link below which may help give some background on Karen’s work. Her performances are often used to confront normativity and also heighten the female body as a consumed object in society – hence the clash between the nudity, embellished body and the succinct and aggressive nature of her language and delivery.
      Though I say…take what you can from it and the rest is for discussion.

http://art-history.concordia.ca/cujah/issue03/4-progress-through-provocations-analyzing-the-work-of-karen-finley.htm

Write a comment