COMPLEXIONS CONTEMPORARY BALLET

Coming into this event, I did not know exactly what to expect never having experienced this type of modern live dance. At first, I was a little disappointed that we were sitting in the top row close to the corner, but once the curtains opened up I was surprised by the many physical specimens in front of my eyes, reminding me of Greek sculptures. I was in awe with how much the dancers were able to stretch out their lanky, muscular bodies out. I was additionally very impressed with how (especially in the first scene) all the members of “The Company” were dancing completely in sync and how they were able to remember every single subtle move.

With each new scene came a specific color of attire that all the dancers wore, giving the impression of organized uniformity, however although they wore the same colors, the types of attire varied – from tight pants to tight shorts which added the dimension of individualism and uniqueness.

The dance made me ask myself a few questions:

How did they have the flexibility, stamina, and talent to continuously perform flawlessly over the course of hours?

How did they all walk with a perfect posture on their tippy toes with all  of their body weight pushing down?

How were they able to slide their feet on the ground, or come crashing down on their feet with a loud thump that can be heard from all the way where we were sitting – without hurting themselves?

These questions can all by answered by the sheer talent that these dancers all have and the amount of hard work they put in.

Lastly, I felt that the music was almost as important to the performance, as the dance itself! The music set the audience’s mood and provided us with a lens with which we interpret the dance – whether it be happy, lustful, or sacred.

My first trip to see a modern dance was definitely a success, and I hope to see more performances like this in the future!