Sneaker Con NYC

Yesterday, I attended Sneaker Con New York, a huge convention that is all about shoes of all types. Now one would think that this was probably a small event but would be wrong to believe so. There were so many people that I had to wait outside the Jacob Javit Center for about an hour before I was able to get in because of overcrowding. The line outside spanned about a half mile down West 40th Street. What made the wait outside even worse was that it was cold and raining. As bad as the wait outside was, I could confidently say that once I was inside, the experience was the complete opposite.

When I got in, I was greeted by the roaring noise of fellow sneaker-heads (term used for people who have a passion for shoes) buying and selling shoes and related accessories. As I walked around, I was able to see all the interesting booths created by vendors and displays of shoes that were not available for sale but rather strictly to be shown off.

IMG_1432IMG_1431

One thing that truly struck me as interesting was all the custom art that was there. Some of the things I saw were shoes that were once completely white, painted on to portray somewhat of a skin print pattern and on the grey part on the upper, there is a few bolts of lightning. Another thing that I saw that was not related to shoes at all were these two paintings that were hanging on the racks of clothing that a vender was selling. I spoke to Myles, the artist who made these and he told me that the company was called Get A Real Dream. Unfortunately, he was really busy and I was unable to ask him a ton of questions about his work but I did really enjoy these pieces.

IMG_1407IMG_1408

All in all, SneakerCon was all I hoped for and more. The high energy money-flowing atmosphere and just being surrounded by all kinds of shoes and artwork I have never seen before is the definition of my sanctuary.